Through the Shared Source Initiative, Microsoft advances several important objectives:You can actually get the Windows source code under the enterprise licensing, Windows CE source code, Smart Devices Developer samples, C#/JScript/CLI Implemetation all for free of cost. I really didn't believe that unless I downloaded the Windows CE source code.
- Bolster the freedom and success of customers, partners, researchers, and developers by affording them expanded access to source code.
- Enable Windows users to ensure the integrity and security of their computing environments.
- Enrich the development community by providing the tools to produce outstanding software.
- Improve feedback processes that play a critical role in developing better Microsoft products for business and individual consumers of software.
- Enhance educational opportunities and to cultivate a vigorous software industry of the future by placing technology in the hands of universities throughout the world.
- Preserve the intellectual property rights that historically have fostered unparalleled innovation and growth in the global software industry.